Sunday, February 24, 2008

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

LITERALLY AAAHHHHMAAAZZZING!!!

My parents made this recipe tonight and called me down to their house for a little sampling...3 lettuce wraps later both Aaron and I were hooked! He even said he'd take me out at the knees for the last wrap!

Oh also my dad used fresh garlic and fresh ginger. I think the fresh ingredients makes a big difference. Did I mention he went to 2 different grocery stores in one day to make this recipe for my mom, who has become quite the recipe hunter. Hope you enjoy!

Dave's tweaked recipe for Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients:
head of lettuce and use the large 3-6 outside layers
1 pound chicken breast diced up into small pieces
1 large onion -- chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
dash red pepper
1 can (8 ounce size) sliced water chestnuts -- drained, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
chinese rice noodles
Directions:
Rinse lettuce leaves, keeping them whole. Set aside to drain. Cook chicken in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often to break up the meat.

Add onion, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, vinegar and red pepper. Cook until the meat is crumbled and brown. Add water chestnuts. Cook about 2 minutes.
Stir in sesame oil. Arrange lettuce leaves on the outer edge of a platter. Spoon meat mixture in center. Eat like a taco. Top with the rice noodles.
As my Dad said, "Think of it as a chinese taco!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot to say the other key was that he fINELY chopped everything so tiny, I didn't even know their was onion and water chestnuts in it!


yum!

Janelle said...

This sounds so good. I think Skip and I will love them. Thanks for the different flavor!

Shelley said...

Sounds like a fun, "date night at home" dinner. Thanks!

Sparky said...

I've made these before and they are delicious. Much better than you can get at Chilis -- rivals PF Changs. Great recipe!