2 cups granulated sugar, 1 cup light corn syrup. 1 cup water2 cups raw Spanish peanuts, 1/2 teaspoon salt1 Tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon soda
· Heat and stir sugar, syrup, and water in heavy 3-quart saucepan till sugar dissolves.
· Cook over medium heat to softball stage (234 DEGREES).
· Add nuts and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
· Cook to hard crack stage (305 DEGREES), stirring often.
· Remove from heat as soon as it hits 305.
· Quickly stir in butter and soda. (STIR FAST...IT WILL GET QUITE FUN & FOAMY!)
· Pour at once onto 2 well-buttered 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch pans, spreading with spatula.
· Pull with forks to stretch thin. Break up when cold.
· makes 1 1/2 pounds.
Now for some hints:
· make sure that your pans are buttered and ready before you start.
· have your butter and soda pre-measured and on a small plate to toss in together.
· stir quick and hard and laugh for this is the fun part and as soon as it is stirred and the butter is melted start pouring because it sets up fast.
· be sure to spread it quickly...the thinner the brittle the better it is!!